15 March 2010

She's got... τιμή?

I just finished "A Portrait of Hecate." It was a tough read. I couldn't have done it, say... five years ago, because I'm pretty sure the internet wouldn't have supported my need to search in Greek characters. It also isn't what I wanted! It is an analysis of Hecate's presence in Hesiod's Theogeny, rather than something about her. Still, I found some interesting things.

Some random thoughts:
  • She is associated with child-rearing, and guarding entryways.
  • She overlaps other deities... this specifically mentioned Poseidon, Hermes, Zeus, Ares, and Athena "at least." Basically she is involved with "the daily affairs of men." And people do a lot of things!
  • She is "willful." She giveth and she taketh away. The parts that spoke about will felt as though Marquardt was dancing around the idea of the Judeo-Christian God. Not sure what to make of that.
    • Actually, it specifies that she does not take away but "takes it for herself." Nice.
  • This article doesn't say much about her in her maiden/mother/crone idiom, because Hesiod apparently would not have known her in that form.
    • Theodor Kraus is referenced as theorizing that this form appeared when she became associated with Thessalian witchcraft. I was wondering when I would get there. It looks like my research will allow me to understand every allusion in the Sandman if nothing else comes of it.
  • I thought a particularly interesting note was that she has nothing to do with sex (or music!) A willful, sexless woman. Very Katherine.
About my title... the one point Marquardt really pushes is of Hecate's τιμή, which basically means honor and value generally considered to be bestowed by Zeus. This is not explained in the article. Philologists are like that. When I start mingling words from foreign languages into my writing without explaining them, shut me down.

UPDATE!:
Okay, so... New World Encyclopedia? Can someone tell me what their deal is? I can't trust religious organizations that don't mention that they are religious organizations, but their sources on this topic seem very good. And they sent me to some interesting places. This is parts of the passage of Theogeny that the article is talking about.

...And she conceived and bare Hecate whom Zeus the son of Cronos honoured above all. (...) For to this day, whenever any one of men on earth offers rich sacrifices and prays for favour according to custom, he calls upon Hecate. (...) Whom she will she greatly aids and advances: she sits by worshipful kings in judgement, and in the assembly whom she will is distinguished among the people. (...) And she is good to stand by horsemen, whom she will: and to those whose business is in the grey discomfortable sea, and who pray to Hecate and the loud-crashing Earth-Shaker, easily the glorious goddess gives great catch, and easily she takes it away as soon as seen, if so she will. (...) So, then. albeit her mother's only child, she is honoured amongst all the deathless gods.
Marquardt was not joking about the emphasis on her will! I was not sure before, but I think that if there is a parallel, it will be findable.

This search is still very frustrating, however. I got seriously creeped out today when I ended up at an ancient Greek/English dictionary written by Henry Liddell. You know, Alice in Wonderland's father.

My next goals: Look into Saint Catherine some more. She is my earliest definite connection. Going from a witch to a saint is not an easy task. Also, I may ask a librarian at school about a good place to look for the etymology of names. A linguistics librarian? An English language librarian? When I decide I will send them an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment